Attention to the pets that are bringing their humans to the park. These regulations outlined here are always in place, and always important, but extra important and critical now.
Pets on a leash are permitted in Hammonasset Beach State Park with restrictions for some areas based on the time of the year.
- BEACH: NO pets or riding animals are allowed on the beach from April 1 – September 30.
- CAMPGROUND: NO pets are allowed in the Campground from May 1 – Columbus Day.
- PICNIC & OTHER AREAS: Dogs must always be on a leash.
- Please read signs that are posted in other areas based on wildlife nesting. They are there for the protection of the animals.
(Hammonasset Beach State Park Regulations official statement.)
- Mutt Mitts, provided by Friends of Hammonasset are available throughout the Park.
- Please remember to clean up after your pet and use the disposal dumpsters.
- Dogs must remain on leash at all times and as per park regulations the leash cannot be longer or extended passed 7 feet.
- During these times please consider a 6 foot leash to remain social distancing.
- Don’t pet dogs that are not your own (the COVID-19 virus reportedly can be spread on dog fur just like it can survive on other surfaces)